The aim of inputs at this level is to assist with confidence of the participants and explain some of the changes in driving and vehicle safety improvements. There is also a voluntary refresher driving opportunity.
On successful completion of the module each participant will be able to;
1. Recognise safe driving practices.
2. Describe some advances in motor vehicle technology.
3. Evaluate their own driving experience* (if the option of the refresher drive is taken).
Each event will be held over a morning or afternoon session. Each participant will be supplied with an information booklet which includes details of some of the more frequently installed technological advances in motor vehicles.
They will also be given a current copy of the Highway Code.
They will be requested to complete a simple questionnaire of their current driving habits and there is a simple practice, "Fun", Theory test.
There is a power point presentation which may raise some pertinent discussion points.
They will be given the option of a driver assessment to be arranged locally at a time of their convenience. (There will be a number of local ADI's present who will be able to facilitate immediate refresher drives if required)
There are also various information films available which can be shown if time and facilities exist.
Any of the students that undertake the driving refresher will be assessed on the same "safe" principals of any other learner driver, however there is no formal pass fail and any further action is at the discretion of the participant themselves, on the recommendation of their instructor.
• Newcastleton Village Hall - 2 August, 9.30am
• Denholm Village Hall - 2 August, 1.30pm
• Walkerburn Public Hall - 16 August, 9.30am
• Innerleithen Memorial Hall - 16 August, 1.30pm
• St Boswells Village Hall - 30 August, 9.30am
• Newtown St Boswells Community Wing - 30 August, 1.30pm
• West Linton Graham Institute - 13 September, 9.30am
• Melrose Corn Exchange - 13 September 1.30pm
• Tweedbank Eildon Mill - 11 October, 9.30am
• Duns Southfield Community Centre - 18 October, 10am
There is no need to book up in advance, but further details are available from www.scotborders.gov.uk/olderdriver
If you are an older driver and are interested in our module then please contact Drivewise using the form below.